Supplement packaging prototypes

Instead of just having posters up for sale and available, I’ve been thinking about how I would round off the project, and go about getting the posters (and the knowledge that they exist) out and available to wider audiences. As far as the internet is concerned, this page and the project can get stumbled, dugg, reddited, and so on and so forth, which is great, but this is still just a fraction of the amount of readers the Guardian reaches on a daily basis. So how do I put my work infront of the eyes of the millions of readers of the Guardian, keep it there long enough for it to become a talking point, and encourage people to look at it?

Well one idea I had was a supplement piece, with accompanying package containing a fullsize A1 print every week for six weeks. This way the One week of the Guardian project is contained in it’s own package, with accompanying information which tells the story of the project, and a poster of a piece of work to encourage people to collect the whole series.

Inside the envelope, the A1 print would be folded down to A5 size, 4 folds in half each time. Printed on the back of the visualisation for that day would be a storyboard with project information, the same for each day so that if a reader jumped on board half way through the issues, they would still know what’s going on.

A rough scale of things would look something like this.

I was thinking it might be nice to have these supplemental packages published next year on the dates they were created, as a time capture looking back one year ago using data visualisations. A hypothetical fantasy, but a nice one I think.

13 Comments

1. Comment Details
    Authored by Adii
    Posted May 28, 2008 at 7:03 am | Comment Permalink

Sheesh… Those really look insane and I think it is a great idea… And I’d love to get my hands on a printed copy of these… Any chance you’ll send me some love all the way to South Africa? :)

2. Comment Details
    Authored by haracas
    Posted May 28, 2008 at 8:37 am | Comment Permalink

I quite like this concept, although, i would encourage you to see how much you can play around with each packaging. Each day in your One Week of the Guardian project uses visuals unique to it. It’d be interesting to see if you could translate these differences into the very packaging design whilst still retaining the central theme of One Week.

3. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted May 28, 2008 at 5:58 pm | Comment Permalink

Adii,

Would be glad to send you some love. Need to work out how much these would cost to print/ship. Plus I have to guillotine everything, and prepare the packets, which sucks.

Maybe a limited run. You could be the one of the lucky ones! :D

Haracas,

With everything I publish on here there’s one final design that I choose, and usually two others which I’ve looked at and discarded. One idea I had for these was to create the packets from the newsprint itself, printing it onto the template and having a banner strip wrap entirely around it with information.

I only chose this one as I prefered it.

I’m planning to do a post soon enough with all of the rejected ideas I had during the project, so as well as the other designs for these packets, you’ll be able to see the other designs for the visuals, the headlines illustrations, and all sorts!

Thanks guys.

4. Comment Details
    Authored by Harry Roberts
    Posted May 28, 2008 at 7:58 pm | Comment Permalink

Be sure to put some prices up on the site, cos I’m pretty sure I’d be interested in buying some of these! They’re amazing.

5. Comment Details
    Authored by Adii
    Posted May 29, 2008 at 7:11 am | Comment Permalink

Make me one of the lucky ones please Mr Dave! :D Shipping / printing cost is not an issue for me… I just really, badly want these babies, as I think they’re some of the best artworks I’ve ever seen in my entire life!

6. Comment Details
    Authored by Phil Bowell
    Posted May 29, 2008 at 10:33 am | Comment Permalink

These are absolutely fantastic. I think it’s an excellent way of interacting with the news. I’d love to see them in print, if you do sell them count me in for a pack!

7. Comment Details
    Posted May 30, 2008 at 1:01 am | Comment Permalink

Ohhhhh dave!!! Nice wee packages, ya gonna put whole week of the guardian in there? where’d ya get them wee bad boys printed, back in manc?

well anyways, did a wee video of my “Painting on the Silence” thingy today, the quality isn’t that great due to the flicker of the projecter and general light issues, but ya’ll get the idea. If nout else its another chance to listen to “So Long”. Have a wee gander and let me know what ya think

keep up the good work, hopefully see ya at the weekend.

8. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted May 30, 2008 at 3:49 pm | Comment Permalink

Thanks everyone! I’ll get a page up next Wednesday with prices, pictures, and what not. I’ll also see if I can blag a decent camera for an hour so I can get some proper shots of what they look like printed.

@Harry, Thanks! They’re going to be as cheap as I can make them, printing and shipping only. Bargains!

@Adii, After that nice comment I’ll make sure you get some! ;)

@Phil, Thanks!

@Jonny, These are one packet to one piece. The previews here aren’t printed, they’re mocked up in Photoshop (but I’m glad I fooled you with my uber ‘shopping skills ;p). I’m collecting from the printers on Monday.

9. Comment Details
    Authored by Dave
    Posted June 5, 2008 at 3:26 am | Comment Permalink

Just a quick comment to let everyone know that a limited edition run of prints are now available to order, and you can find more information about the print run here.

10. Comment Details
    Authored by bronson
    Posted June 7, 2008 at 1:50 pm | Comment Permalink

Hey Dave, i think we need to get you some butter mate, ‘soc you’re definitely on a roll!

Your work never ceases to amaze and inspire me to be a better geek. You rock, and my check is in the mail :)

11. Comment Details
    Authored by bronson
    Posted June 7, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Comment Permalink

oops, apologies on the spelling. It’s a new al cheapo keyboard

12. Comment Details
    Authored by Packaging Crazy
    Posted October 13, 2008 at 9:07 am | Comment Permalink

I think this is a wonder peice of work. I like the idea of of adding a piece everyweek for 6 weeks should definitely capture people minds. The artwork is great too.

13. Comment Details
    Authored by Stuart Hobday
    Posted March 11, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Comment Permalink

Hi

I love it and I too would like one. If you could let us know costs, shipping in the UK etc that would be great. Excellent work Stuart

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

Comment Info
  • Make sure to follow up your comments by subscribing to the email updates.
  • If you would like to follow the discussion but don't yet want to comment, then subscribe to the post RSS here.
  • If you're posting code, make sure you run it through Elliot Swans' Postable before you submit as it may not display correctly otherwise.